Thursday, August 26, 2010

Bristol to go Dancing with the Stars

Courtesy that bastion of hard news, E! Online, via the reliable breakingTVnews:

We can report to you exclusively that Sarah Palin's 19-year-old daughter Bristol Palin has been cast on the 11th season of DWTS, set to premiere Sept. 20.

For those who care, and I occasionally do, the casting is set to be announced this coming Monday during some ABC show that I will never, ever watch, but this seems to be set.

Already the comments on the article are slamming Bristol Palin (along with, of course, a few shots at Sarah Palin for, from what I can tell, existing) for doing a reality show when everyone was badmouthing ex-fiancĂ© Levi Johnston's forays in reality television (when he wasn't forming half of a creepy couple with noted Palin-hater Kathy Griffin or making really awkward passes at Sandra Bullock*).  
But in my mind, these are two different things.  Levi Johnston (and I know I'm violating my own previously stated hopes of never again having to write about him for at least the second time) sold out the Palin family for the hopes of fame and fortune.  He has bad-mouthed Sarah Palin whenever possible in the hopes that liberal Hollywood would love him, and some did, I suppose.  His celebrity was based entirely on antipathy toward someone else.  And, given his current run for mayor of Wasilla, I suppose it still is, though at this point I'd just call it a shtick.

What Bristol Palin is doing is far different.  She's not selling anyone out in taking this gig.  It may be that this will allow her to spread the message of abstinence, about which she has been speaking for some time.  But even if that doesn't happen, it's still a way to support the son she had with Mr. Johnston.

Oh, and I know some people are saying "she's not a celebrity!!!1!"  Ask yourself this:  who makes a better celebrity:  a 19-year-old woman who has owned up to her behavior and is raising the child who came from this behavior, or, say, a 24-year-old woman who has spiraled out of control for years, culminating in a hearing in which she ought to have been charged with contempt of court?  Me, I'll be happy to watch Bristol dancing.

And I hope she wins.  You betcha.

*It should be noted that this blog is not above dropping names to get hits.

0 comments: