Friday, November 28, 2014

2014 Online Red Kettle and other ways to help out

I had to force myself to get through the farewell-to-Austin post after weeks of no motivation to do so, partially so that I could get to this post.  Those of you who have read this blog before will recognize it, as I rarely change the wording year to year.

As has been my wont for the past six years, I am once again hosting an Online Red Kettle for the Salvation Army, for those who have either already finished their shopping or want to plan out their donations in advance.  (If you've finished your shopping already--I'm posting this about two weeks earlier this year than last--I don't really want to hear about it given my own habit of procrastination.)

If you would like to donate through my virtual kettle, you can do so by clicking the kettle below (unlike last year, the kettle is clickable now).

(Image courtesy The Salvation Army)


A couple of other ways to help out this holiday season (and, really, any time) are as follows:

If you are in the Austin area (even though I no longer am), the Capital Area Food Bank of Texas, where, according to what they have said, your monetary donation can go about five times as far as a food donation, as they can buy in bulk and save money.  They do a lot of good work, and we've supported them before.

And as I have mentioned previously, my friends Ryan and Ashley Beard have created an organization, 48 Lives, which will assist with international adoptions.  Ryan completed a 48-hour run to raise money for this (in which he ran over 140 miles) and has helped place at least one child with a family who loves her very much.

All of these options are well worth your support.  This holiday season, let's all help someone out who needs it.

0 comments: